Question #83770 on Pidgin changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/pidgin/+question/83770

ಸಿಂಧು ಸುಂದರ confirmed that the question is solved:
Never mind, I manually downgraded all packages, it was a bit of a PITA
but the issues's resolved. My suggestion to anyone facing this same
problem would be:

1. stay away from PPAs! if you are going to development, stick to your release
provided packages
2. use apt-show-versions | grep "newer" to check packages that are newer than
those found in the archive (in the case that you learnt lesson 1 ^ and removed
PPAs to revert back stuff) this will help you find packages you can downgrade
3. apt-get build-dep pidgin -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true
this command is a true live saver, what synaptic doesn't tell you, this command
does. read carefully the output from this in case you land into dependency hell
doing apt-get build-dep and you should able to figure out what packages you
must downgrade.

from personal experience its messy cause you have to remove a bunch (a
whole lot!) of them and then reinstall stuff...i cant put it more better
than this.

So yeah, good luck! :)

Pidgin Rocks, which is an answer contact for Pidgin.