The FileSystem object from hadoop is contained inside the HDataStorage (which you get as a DataStorage object in GruntParser. The ElementDescriptor interface that DataStorage gives you doesn't have functions for permissions modifications. That will need to be added, then HPath and LocalPath updated to implement these functions for hadoop and local files. In HPath, you'll be able to get a reference to the FileSystem object via fs.getHFS().

Alan.