Santhosh Srinivasan commented on PIG-591:
1. The System.err.println has to be removed. It was an oversight.
2. Thats a tricky one. The warning message is used to indicate that the
reporter was not set. The reporter uses the Hadoop reporter internally. Its
highly likely that the Hadoop reporter which is also used in the PigLogger is
not set. I will delegate this to the PigLogger to make it consistent.
3. UDF writers cannot create new warning enums in PigWarning. There are two
1. PigWarning is part of Pig sources
2. Java does not allow Enums to be extended (i.e., inherited)
A possible solution in the future could be to use a registration mechanism
where UDFs register their warning enums and Pig will be aware of the warnings
that are aggregated. The UDF manual has to be updated to reflect this.
4. The volatile is used only in PigMapBase as mappers will be multi-threaded in
future Hadoop versions. Yes, this change can be made in the Combiner and the
5. I am following the convention for the reporter. There is an existing comment
which states that the re-initialization in the processInput() was added as a
safety. The root cause is not clear.
> Error handling phase four
> Key: PIG-591
> URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-591
> Project: Pig
> Issue Type: Sub-task
> Components: grunt, impl, tools
> Affects Versions: types_branch
> Reporter: Santhosh Srinivasan
> Assignee: Santhosh Srinivasan
> Fix For: types_branch
> Attachments: Error_handling_phase4.patch
> Phase four of the error handling feature will address the warning message
> cleanup and warning message aggregation.
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.