I am about to submit a cleaned up patch for 924.
It works fine as a static patch (in fact I can attach it to 660 as
well) -- compiling with -Dhadoop.version=XX works as proposed for the
static shims. It does the necessary prep for the code to be able to
switch based on what's in its classpath, but it does not require
unbundling to work statically.

The hadoop20 jar attached to the zebra ticket is built in a different
way than 18 and 19; it does not report its version (18 and 19 do).
Right now I get around it by hard-coding a special case ("Unknown" =>
20), but that's obviously suboptimal. Could someone rebuild
hadoop20.jar the way Pig wants it, and with the proper version
identification?  If that happens, 924/660 can go in together with
hadoop20.jar and users will at least be able to build against a static
version of hadoop without requiring a patch.

-Dmitriy