Richard,
I would strongly advise you against trying to mess with PigInputFormat
and JobControlCompiler.  We know that slicers work (after all, people
manage to write hbase loaders and such). Plus the whole
input/output/slice/slicer thing is being revised right now, there is a
proposal in PIG-966 you can look at if you would like to comment.

In fact I just took your code and substituted some placeholders for
various methods and classes (like HSSchema, etc), and I can see Slice
methods getting called and everything.

What do your location strings look like? Pig tries to be helpful by
transforming locations into HDFS paths if the locations are not
qualified by a scheme ( something:/ ). This makes file-based LoadFuncs
easier to write, but it also means that you have to specify a scheme
if you are doing something that's not file-based.  Try changing your
code to expect the location string to start with some scheme, such as
abcd:/ (or perhaps something more meaningful) and things should work.

-D