> At 05:58 PM 5/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> >I'll be teaching a pinhole class, constructing cameras from Quaker oatmeal
> >canisters. I'd like to avoid using knives to cut the opening for the pinhole.
> How about a punch?  If you were to insert a piece of soft wood (like a 2x4
> clamped to the edge of  a table) into the oatmeal box for a mandrel, you
> could smack a short piece of brass tubing (or anything else you could find
> lying around) with a hammer and punch out a pretty good circular
> hole--especially if you filed the edges of the tube to make it slightly
> sharp (but not skin-cutting sharp).

The above is much like a cork-borer.  This is a tube with one end
sharpened to bore a hole in a cork.  You may be able to get one at a very
good hardware store or from a scientific supply house - maybe even a
wine-making store.

We have a couple of sets of them for making different sized holes in
corks and stoppers.

They should cut through cardboard

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander           Dept. of Biology
hol...@duke.usask.ca            112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg    University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433              Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461              Canada  S7N 5E2