Hello:

I'm deeply rooted in the 'how' first, before the 'why'. It's my nature to
try and understand processes before I experiment with them, so thus far, I'm
mostly an 'armchair' pinholer (I spend alot of time planning great things
rahter than doing them).

I think there is some validity in this approach even in a more balanced
case...

I draw parallels among different artforms -

To produce poetry of any depth, one has to learn the language
....vocabulary, grammar, style,
etc, and study previous works.

To produce music, one must learn and practice a great deal of mechanical and
theoretical matters before creating art. Someone once said of jazz, "you
have to learn the rules before you can break them." Heretoo, one has to
learn the language to 'speak

Painting requires a mastery of technique to allwo the process or craft to
deliver a feeling, rather than be an obstacle to expression

Some people have told me "this is pinhole...just do it." I'm heading
there...I just don't do well with a purely Edisonian approach (by gosh or by
golly results). I then don't know why something worked or didn't work.

Getting to the 'why' part, I'm practicing with an SLR right now, taking
shots of things I want to do in pinhole...I feel like maybe if I can learn
to 'see' composition conventionally, it will give me better pinhole results,
since composing them  is a 'blinder' approach.

Speaking of blind photographers, which has been discussed here earlier,
someone told me they met an artist recently who sold a painting to Stevie
Wonder...I paused for a moment, trying to imagine what or how he would
select, and she said that someone with him guided him and he selected one by
touching it. That was interesting, but that leaves us photographers out of
the loop.

Murray