From: pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????
[mailto:pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????]On Behalf Of ragowaring
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 3:43 PM
To: pinhole-discussion@p at ???????
Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] Dwarf pictures

on 7/1/02 6:40 pm, Jean-Louis Thiry at multim...@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> As it is the first time I'm posting a message, though I avidly read every
> messages of this list every morning (and learn a lot from it) before
beginning
> to work. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jean-Louis Thiry and I'm a
french
> graphic designer working in a hi-tech environment (I got addicted to the
> Macintosh thing 12 years ago, but before that all I did was done by hand
and
> reflexion and of course by photographic process) which drove me to a lot
of
> questions and changes.
> I needed a lo-tech activity to rediscover what was missing in my (long)
day
> job
> : reflexion, nothing between my brain and my images except my hands and
eyes
> and
> that's how i naturally came to the pinhole photography . In fact I began
> pinholing from nothing to refer to, only some childhood reminicences of
how to
> make a photo with simply a hole in a shoe box. Then I discover I could get
> some
> nice images easily if I took the time to think about what I wanted to do
and
> what I wanted to get (until then I thought that there were no photos
existing
> aside the Nikon FM2). It's only after building two or three cameras and
films
> holders that I discover that there were a lot of people sharing that
interest
> ans ejoying it at whatever the level of use - from rough cardboard box to
> expensive large format cameras, computer digital work and more scientifics
> users. I must say that I learned more in the last few months about photos,
> camera, eye's vision, paper sensitivity… and above all what can be unique
in a
> photo than in the last thirty years.
> I build all my cameras, spend a lot of time (and no money) at it. Only
made
> from
> cardboard and paper, I need them to be beautiful, clothed with nice and
> luxuous
> papers (I'm lucky enough to get a lot of samples from paper manufacturers)
and
> as solid as wood boxes would be. If I get some good responses to the
photos I
> just uploaded, I'll send some of my boxes. I love to build boxes and to
find
> solutions for the shutter, the way to attach the film holder, to make the
hole
> (printer's plate). I spend also a lot of time to experiment with the wide
> range
> of graphic art films and negative paper.
> What I knew before but became more important when I went to pinhole is the
> importance of the negative. A negative is a complete image and is NOT the
> contrary  of what we see, rather something we CANNOT see. It is more
evident
> for
> me when I handpaint - it would certainly be easier and faster with
Photoshop
> but
> I don't want to - my negatives.
> The two photos I upload show a plaster dwarf on one with me (I am the
tallest
> of
> both), and looking at the top of a ladder on the other. For the more
> technicals
> of you : negative papers 100 x 150 mm and focal length 185 mm, hole 0,51
> mm/diam, etc…
> enjoy, Forgive my english, ans happy new year to everyone
>
> Jean-Louis

http://www.???????/discussion/upload/gallery2002.php?pic=jlouis_t
hi
> ry_1.jpg

http://www.???????/discussion/upload/gallery2002.php?pic=jlouis_t
hi
> ry_2.jpg
> --
> DON'T MISS !!!
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/multimage/sessionbanjo/
Dear Jean-Louis

Your upload does not seem to be linked, but that does not matter.

You love boxes and so do I!  One of the things about the pinhole is the box.

The box contains and in containment we can reconcile ourselves with the
fluxes and changes in the world.

But the pinhole holds a special magic.  From nothing you can create an
image, it is a truly wonderful thing.  There are no hidden workings or
barriers.  There is no agent or device between the subject and its image.
Only air.

Pinhole is not just about the image as is testified by the beautiful cameras
made by makers.  There is more to the image than the image itself, the
making, the process weaves a magic that cannot be unravelled from the image
when seen.

Alexis