As it is the first time I'm posting a message, though I avidly read every
messages of this list every morning (and learn a lot from it) before beginning
to work. Let me introduce myself. My name is Jean-Louis Thiry and I'm a french
graphic designer working in a hi-tech environment (I got addicted to the
Macintosh thing 12 years ago, but before that all I did was done by hand and
reflexion and of course by photographic process) which drove me to a lot of
questions and changes.
I needed a lo-tech activity to rediscover what was missing in my (long) day job
: reflexion, nothing between my brain and my images except my hands and eyes and
that's how i naturally came to the pinhole photography . In fact I began
pinholing from nothing to refer to, only some childhood reminicences of how to
make a photo with simply a hole in a shoe box. Then I discover I could get some
nice images easily if I took the time to think about what I wanted to do and
what I wanted to get (until then I thought that there were no photos existing
aside the Nikon FM2). It's only after building two or three cameras and films
holders that I discover that there were a lot of people sharing that interest
ans ejoying it at whatever the level of use - from rough cardboard box to
expensive large format cameras, computer digital work and more scientifics
users. I must say that I learned more in the last few months about photos,
camera, eye's vision, paper sensitivity… and above all what can be unique in a
photo than in the last thirty years.
I build all my cameras, spend a lot of time (and no money) at it. Only made from
cardboard and paper, I need them to be beautiful, clothed with nice and luxuous
papers (I'm lucky enough to get a lot of samples from paper manufacturers) and
as solid as wood boxes would be. If I get some good responses to the photos I
just uploaded, I'll send some of my boxes. I love to build boxes and to find
solutions for the shutter, the way to attach the film holder, to make the hole
(printer's plate). I spend also a lot of time to experiment with the wide range
of graphic art films and negative paper.
What I knew before but became more important when I went to pinhole is the
importance of the negative. A negative is a complete image and is NOT the
contrary  of what we see, rather something we CANNOT see. It is more evident for
me when I handpaint - it would certainly be easier and faster with Photoshop but
I don't want to - my negatives.
The two photos I upload show a plaster dwarf on one with me (I am the tallest of
both), and looking at the top of a ladder on the other. For the more technicals
of you : negative papers 100 x 150 mm and focal length 185 mm, hole 0,51
mm/diam, etc…
enjoy, Forgive my english, ans happy new year to everyone

Jean-Louis

http://www.???????/discussion/upload/gallery2002.php?pic=jlouis_thiry_1.jpg
http://www.???????/discussion/upload/gallery2002.php?pic=jlouis_thiry_2.jpg
--
DON'T MISS !!!
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/multimage/sessionbanjo/

MULT'IMAGE
Applications graphiques - 41, rue Voltaire - ZI Nord
F-82000 MONTAUBAN
Tél  05 63 63 54 54 -  Fax 05 63 63 11 18 -  ISDN 05 63 63 11 18