Hi,
I'm one of the lurkers in the group. I've tried doing pinhole cameras with third graders a couple of times. Once when the schools' art teacher wanted to learn about them. Another time I worked with a third grade language/math teacher (my wife) yho used it as math and language grades (they wrote up the process and made a few measurements). The kids only HW for the project was bringing in a shoe box. From there they made the cameras with black tape, pinholes in tinfoil, and shutters. In small groups they loaded the cameras and developed the paper negatives loved playing. We contacted the paper negs. at home in the garage. Even had a few images come out.

The kids liked cutting holes, and taping boxes, giggled and ran around when the lites went out, etc. and thought it was a great alternative to other school classwork. Don't know if it would have been as successful as an after school project though.