--- dalf...@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/28/01 12:09:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
> glsm...@yahoo.com writes:
>
> << If you use fiber paper you don't need any kind of backing.  Ilford does
> carry a
>  postcard stock, which is the same as their Portfolio paper.  This paper is a
>  bit thicker than their standard RC paper and can be used to send the card
>  through the mail.  Personally, I like to use fiber for this, as I cut it
> down
>  to the size I want - sometimes 5 1/2 X 7, sometimes panoramic.  The Ilford
>  postcard paper is handy, however.
>
>  Cheers-
>
>  george
>   >>
> Ditto, what George said, you can order Ilford post card size paper
> (4X6inches), about $16.00 a 100sht box , in either glossy , or a pearl
> surface, check with Freestyle , as they carry it, one caveat though, if you
> make /design your own , check with the Post Office, as I think there is a
> limitation on post card sizes that can be sent at the post card  postage
> rate, its around a 5X7 inch limit if memory serves me, someone correct me if
> I am in error here .

There is a limitation on card size.  However, with the hundreds that I have
sent (possibly a thousand), I've only had a single card returned because it was
too large.  This was amusing because I had sent about 50 of that one particular
one out (sometimes I get a little behind with sending to new people on the
list), and they all went through with the exception of that one.

My typical operation is to quarter sheets of 11X14 and make the cards that
size.

Cheers-

george

=====