--- R Duarte <ra...@rahji.com> wrote:
> So, to make that project that I just emailed about I turned my bathroom into
> a darkroom.  It's worked pretty good.  I'm just wondering about one thing...
> the stop bath seems to turn purple really quickly (like 20 mins?)..
> especially if normal light hits it.  How dark does it get before it's bad,
> or are you supposed to ditch it as soon as it starts changing color?  Does
> it ever get opaque?  Maybe I mixed it wrong.. 2 fl. oz. to a gallon is what
> I did.  Thanks for any answers... sorry the question isn't
> pinhole-specific..

Rob -

As soon as Stop begins to change color, it is time to toss it.  You should be
able to reuse it a number of times before this happens.  2 ounces to the gallon
sounds right to me (always pour Stop into the water when mixing, not the other
way around!).

The stated purpose of Stop is to stop development quickly.  Actually, your
Fixer will do this also.  However, your developer and your fixer really don't
like one another, and the former will exhaust the latter quickly.  Stop acts as
a buffer between these two.  Note that Stop costs considerably less than fixer
(and is less toxic to the environment), so its proper use is meaningful.

Cheers -

george

=====
Handmade Photographic Images