This is a website that tells you how to make a simple device that allows you
to scan transparencies on a reflective only flat bed scanner.
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/Backlighter.html
This site may have been posted here some time ago here by someone else.
Also as George said, Farmers reducer can work wonders, if you are careful.
One way to work is not to mix the Hypo and Potassium Ferrocynide but to use
the a diluted P.F. solution first to bleach your neg to printable densities
and then fix it in hypo. If you over bleach you can always redevelop the
negative in your favorite developer in daylight as long as it has not come
into contact with fixer(hypo) and try again. Keep in mind that the negative
will become a little less dense when fixing so it is best underbleach a touch.

In a message dated 8/23/01 11:20:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pinhole-discussion-request@p at ??????? writes:

<<
 --- Benjamin Privitt <five...@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi folks,
 >
 > This question may have more to do with general darkroom procedure rather
 > than being specifically pinhole-oriented, but here goes.  I have very
dense
 > negatives from a Zero 2000.  These are outdoor, full sunlight images on a
 > variety of films that have lots of detail, and lots of grain.  My previous
 > experiments with filters and high contrast paper have wiped out the images
 > altogether (which speaks to the experimental stage I'm in with my darkroom
 > technique, perhaps).  And scanning has yielded a grainy white blob where
the
 > exposure was.  Does anyone have experience processing high density
 > negatives, and bringing out more contrast and detail?

 When I expose Kodak Infrared at EI50, I get very dense, grainy negatives
(this
 is what I am looking for).  Printing is simply a matter of exposing the paper
 for a longer period of time (my exposures can run up to 15 minutes with the
 enlarger lens wide open).  Also, using a fast paper (like Forte Warmtone) can
 help.

 If you do not want dense, grainy negatives, simply reduce your exposure
time.
 It sounds to me like you simply need to do some testing.  I don't know what
 film you are using, but set your camera on a tripod and make an exposure 1
sec,
 2 secs, 4 secs, 8 secs, etc.  Develop the film and print EVERY frame - even
the
 ones you know are not going to work for you.  This will give you an idea as
 what the film within that particular camera can do.

 If you are still getting dense negatives on every frame, and you are sure
that
 you are developing the film as per the manufacturer's instructions, then you
 will need to use a slower film.  I would suggest TMX, or at the extreme, Tech
 Pan.

 If your existing film is important and really cannot be printed, you could
 always try some judicious use of Farmer's Reducer, though you'll want to be
 very careful with this (if the film is not important, then using this soup
as a
 test will be valuable later on).

 Cheers -

 george >>