Hi:

Yes paper is pretty forgiving.  Its not nearly as sensetive to light as
film.  I rate paper at 6 ASA when I use it in a camera.  My darkroom has a
couple of small light leaks around the door.  I haven't bothered fixing
these yet.  I will when I start processing real film.  The CGP orhto film
I use is even less sensetive than paper - an ASA of 1 to daylight.

I forgot one additional item for the minimal darkroom.  Something to
measure the chemicals.  The recommended thing is a good graduated cylinder
from the photo shop, but a large graduated measuring cup (intended for
kitchen use) would work.  As long as it is _only_ used for photo
chemicals, and _never_ in the kitchen.

A really cheap way of getting lab stuff is through surplus scientific
suppliers.   A good one in the states is

        American Science & Surplus
        http://ww.sciplus.com

though they won't ship outside the states

Can't find one similar to this in Canada :(

Gord