Hey all, I was today working again on x/tools, trying to solve build issues with gccgo, and realised that now there is a circular dependency with x/text. Similar things are happening in other very important packages.
This problem is becoming more and more serious. I don't know what is the long term solution, but it is clear the go ecosystem is not getting any better. For circular deps that only happen because of tests, we can use build profiles[0] to break cycles, but this does not solve the problem with executables. I thought of one possible solution, and I would like to hear feedback: what if for these kind of troublesome repositories, we just build the -dev package, and avoid building/testing any of the executables (or parts of the code that pull the circular deps), and then we create a source-less package that build-depends on all the -dev packages, and builds/tests the executables. What do you think? [0] https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec -- Martín Ferrari (Tincho) _______________________________________________ Pkg-go-maintainers mailing list [email protected] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-go-maintainers
