Hi Matthieu, I am not sure to understand all the points of your mail, but here goes a try to reply.
On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:55:27PM +0200, GALLIEN Matthieu wrote: > Hi all > I would like to add my opinion to that question. > I am an happy Debian powerpc port user for 3 years and half. > I have an old iBook G4. > I am not able to test kde4.1 beta 1 in Debian without building myself the > debian packages or from kde svn. > I do not want to build it on my old iBook, so what ? > If debian devs whant users to test, please help users get the packages built > on their arch. > I am saying that because I believe that kde4 will not be ready for Debian > unless it is tested. And I cannot test it because I have only obsolete > packages or they are not installable because others have been updated. > I am sure that it is not only a problem of experimental powerpc buildd. Actually, yes, it is just a problem with the experimental powerpc buildd, not much we can do there. > There is not really an easy way for some people willing to test to just do it. > For people with i386 or amd64 it is easy to test, specially since beta1 was uploaded for both archs, no need from the autobuilders there. I'm afraid this cover 90% of the users :( > I have a more general question. How the other distribution are managing their > unstable version ? I have not idea. Does another distros have the concept of unstable :? > Is it not possible to work on kde4 in debian without relying on experimental ? No. > Is kde4.1 really something experimental ? Until it is released on the end of July, yes, it is experimental. In debian the usual rule to upload stuff to experimental is: packages that are not meant to be shipped in the next stable release. > I thought kde4.0 was experimental and kde4.1 something working (I do not mean > complete, but does it crash ?). No, kde 4.0 is not experimental. It is officially releaed since months ago and it already have 5 revisions. It is stable for daily use, but for most of people it does not fully replace KDE 3. > How debian managed to include gnome 2 > Did you wait for one year and half before shipping it ? > Again, I have not idea what happens in gnome-land. You have to wait to ship it in the next stable release until this stable is released. Usually new stufd is in the archive when it is released. > I do not want to troll or sound harsh, but I am really convinced of the > problem of the chicken and egg. I also want to say thanks for your work and I > am sorry if my mail is the cause of hurt or pain, this is not my goal. I'm very tired of this topic already. Getting a decision about what KDE ship has been hard and I just want to continue working getting KDE 3.5.9 in shape for Lenny and work in parallel in KDE 4. Ana -- http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-kde-talk
