kossebau added a comment.

  In D28360#636615 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28360#636615>, @eszlari wrote:

  > In D28360#636610 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28360#636610>, @kossebau
wrote:

  > > Can you tell which packagers missed that this is a required runtime
dependency?

  > https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/kde-config-gtk-style

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/kde-gtk-config/blob/master/f/kde-gtk-config.spec

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/kde-plasma/kde-gtk-config/kde-gtk-config-5.18.3.ebuild

  Okay, that is quite a few. Though, I wonder why they missed it. The current
addition to RUNTIME dependency was only added post 5.18, right? And no-one told
the  packagers explicitly otherwise by the usual ways (like in release
announcement). They do read the cmake log though, and usually ask for that
listing as RUNTIME dependency.

  So the current state with those packages might not be a reason for the
proposed noisy approach.

  >> Edit: The proposed solution to make it simply required only forces
packagers to add that and all what it pulls in as build-time dependency to
their package creation, even if not needed for the package creation itself at
all, which is not something packagers like (wastes resources on package build
servers).

  > But they don't have to! They can just compile with
  >
  >   cmake -DENABLE_XSETTINGSD=OFF ...

  They can, but `ENABLE_XSETTINGSD` needs extra work, makes things more
complex, and the term is also misleading (does it enable support for the
demon?). One has to know detais.

  All in all, this is an unusual approach. Best talk to packagers what they
prefer and expect, instead of more complex code based on assumption of how
packagers operate. Done that before myself, and pure listing as RUNTIME dep
always worked out :)

REPOSITORY
  R99 KDE Gtk Configuration Tool

To: eszlari, gikari
Cc: kossebau, ngraham, plasma-devel, Orage, LeGast00n, The-Feren-OS-Dev,
cblack, jraleigh, zachus, fbampaloukas, GB_2, ragreen, ZrenBot, himcesjf,
lesliezhai, ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol, ahiemstra, mart