On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 07:29:01PM +1300, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:06 PM, Nate Graham <pointedst...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 02/10/2018 05:48 PM, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
> >>
> >> Meanwhile... maybe you can do some loud blog posts calling for triagers?
> >> :)
> >

> > Sounds good. Before then, we need to clean up the wiki page for this:
> > https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_and_HOWTOs/Bug_triaging
> >
> > It's thorough and mostly up to date, but huge and intimidating. I've been
> > working to improve it, but assistance would be appreciated
> >

> > Problem #2: the fact that you need to ask permission before gaining write
> > access to other people's hugs is a gigantic blockade to getting more
> > community bug triaging. A LibreOffice bug triager came by recently and
> > explained that they got an enormous amount more community bug triaging by
> > moving away from this policy and only locking down a few things (like the
> > priority and assignee, I think) and leaving the rest open. He said that in
> > particular it was a big boost to the number of bugs (correctly) marked as
> > duplicates and closed as fixed.
>
> Interesting. If the broader community is okay with this I see no
> reason why we couldn't rearrange the permissions and how they're
> currently setup.

I can only speak for myself but I'd be very much in favor or loosening
restrictions on bug permissions to at least allow for community bug
triaging.  It's the kind of task that requires community involvement
anyways (for testing in environments devs can't easily reproduce) and I
think anything we do that gives the broader user community more
'ownership' into the bug database would lead to a more accurate and
useful bug database.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne