On 2006-10-30 09:47+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> Hi,
>>
>> One real problem is: how do we ensure we have checked the myriad of build
>> options/environments? The notes on the Wiki are one thing, I guess, and
>> the most
>> systematic so far.
>
> One possible solution is provided by kitware (the creators of cmake) called
> Dart ( http://public.kitware.com/Dart/HTML/Index.shtml ). It can be also
> integrated in cmake scripts. Question is, if it is worth the efforts to set
> up such a solution.

I think using Dart is an excellent idea. My understanding is the Dart client
allows you to set up a nightly automated task to build PLplot, run ctest,
and report results to kitware's Dart server (which in turn publishes those
results on their website).  Once one of the developers is successful setting
up a Dart client (which I assume is fairly trivial), they should give the
cookbook via the wiki to encourage/recruit Dart testers so that we will
obtain as wide a coverage as possible for all the different PLplot
platforms.

Note, for now users on the bare windows platform will not be able to
participate in reporting ctest results for PLplot using Dart because of all
the shell stuff we have in the ctests.  It will take some hard work to
overcome that bare windows ctest issue, but those with Cygwin or MinGW
platforms will certainly be able to run ctest and participate in Dart
reporting.

To answer Arjen's overall question, we have traditionally tested our
software in a one-time way with our development releases since many of our
users download and build those releases and give us feedback for any
problems they encounter for their favorite platform. But I believe we should
supplement that approach with Dart (for Linux, Mac OS X, Cygwin, and MinGW
platforms to start and ultimately for bare windows as well) since that gives
us much better time resolution and with a guarantee of exactly what was tested
(the ctest suite of tests).

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project