Hi Orion: I am going to post my reply to your question on list because it is
a good question...Alan

On 2006-10-30 16:33-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> I think we should be mentally prepared for a PLplot development release
>> in the very near future featuring our CBS.
>>

> Cool. I'll probably start working on testing building rpms for Fedora Extras.
> One question, what release version will this likely be?  5.6.2? 5.7?

5.7.0 since it is the first development release beyond the 5.6.x series of
stable releases. (Odd minor numbers are development releases while even
minor numbers are stable releases.) Although this next release is a
development release, I hope it will work well for the majority of our users.
I want the first impressions of our new CMake build system to be good.

BTW, to help insure a high-quality development release we need testing of
our CMake Build System (CBS) using the CVS version of PLplot on as many
platforms as possible by those most familiar with PLplot (i.e., those
lurking on this list.) Thus, I hope that all of you will give our CBS a try
on your favorite platform following the instructions at
http://www.miscdebris.net/plplot_wiki/  For example, Orion, I don't think
anybody has tried it with Fedora yet although it works well on my two
Linux platforms (Debian stable and Ubuntu Dapper).

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project