>> Jerry wrote (earlier):
>>> I'd like to know if there is any interest in including these
>>> bindings  with the PLplot distribution.

Hi Jerry:

Yes, there is some interest assuming you are willing to donate your code
under our preferred license which is the LGPL.  We would need e-mail stating
that from you before we could accept your donation.  Furthermore, it's
important for you to give us enough detailed information to build the
interface and examples for ourselves (see below) since I believe our current
Ada expertise is pretty low.

On 2006-12-20 17:46-0700 Jerry wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2006, at 4:50 AM, Werner Smekal wrote:

>> Could you provide a cookbook what is needed to make the bindings
>> work (for persons who never used ada)?
>
> I can provide a help file or readme although compiling sources and
> linking libraries is just the usual stuff. Command line usage
> requires compiling your main Ada program, assuming the sources are in
> your search paths. Compiling Ada is quite easy because every Ada
> package must specify everything it needs, thus simplifying the build
> process. Compiling a multi-file program is done by simply directing
> the compiler to compile the main program. The Ada compiler that is
> included with gcc is especially easy to invoke, as I understand (not
> having used any others).
>
> After compiling, you tell the linker where the PLplot library is and
> you're done.

Werner had an excellent question here. We could probably figure out how to
build the Ada interface from the general description you give above and
reading some of the Ada documentation, but to make it easy for all our
developers who have never used Ada (such as me) could you please provide a
step by step cookbook of the exact commands (command-line much preferred
over GUI commands) we should use to build the interface for those with
access to your platform (OS X)? Once we had those, it should be
straightforward to integrate those instructions into our CMake build system
so that the interface could be easily built on all platforms.

>> And would it also possible for you to port the examples which you
>> can find in the examples directory to ada examples (using the thin
>> bindings)?
>
> I would like to port the examples but I'm a one-person operation so
> this would take extra time, especially since I still struggle to
> decipher C. (The FORTRAN examples are easier for me to read so maybe
> I would use them as a starting point.) I would use the thick
> bindings, however, because I'm afraid that many Ada programmers would
> look at the examples written using the thin bindings and keep looking
> elsewhere for a plotter. For example, the argument lists for the
> thick binding are frequently shorter because it is not necessary to
> pass array dimensions.
>
> Does the PLplot distribution policy absolutely require that the
> examples be included with the binding?

Again, Werner brought up an important point. Showing that the standard set
of examples in the language of choice produces the same postscript results
as the C examples is an excellent test of that language interface.  Thus, an
interface is not really considered to be first class until all the standard
examples are implemented with results compared with the C results for the
standard examples.

That said, if your initial donation included just a few of the standard
examples, that would encourage us to do the integration work with our CMake
build system with the understanding that you would be willing to fill in
more standard examples as time permitted. Furthermore, the exposure your
interface got with PLplot might inspire others to help you out with that
task even if they didn't know Ada to start since it should be
straightforward to infer what the source code should be for additional Ada
examples once we see the required language syntax in the examples that you
supply.

I suggest you use the f95 examples as the template for your initial subset
of the standard examples in ada. That interface (like most of our high-level
interfaces) has all redundant dimension information dropped so that sounds
most compatible with your "thick" ada interface to PLplot.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project