On 2007-01-08 08:39+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

>> [...] For example, gcc-4.1.0 was
>> released almost a year ago so I don't understand why the MinGW developers
>> are not releasing an official version of gcc-4.x yet.  Perhaps it will be
>> coming soon?
>
> Either there are major problems or the MinGW project is dying. Which would be
> a pity. MinGW gcc 3.4.5 is actually not a bad compiler at all, quite fast and
> already has precompiled header support. They seem to try to get everything
> working (all languages) - since djgpp is already at version 4.1 with it's
> c/c++ compilers.

I have done some searching on the mingw-users list, and my above remarks
were probably too severe.  One of the MinGW developers is actively working
on gcc-4.x, but for some reason it is taking him rather long to get out even
a development release.  The MinGW developer may well be a perfectionist.

Whatever the reason for the delay in the official MinGW release of gcc-4.x,
the MinGW project is extraordinarily successful and there is no fear that
they are dying. Their mailing list has huge traffic, and they are usally in
the top 25 of the most actively downloaded projects on SourceForge.
Everybody loves a free (in both senses) compiler!

> Anyway, I'll look into gfortran when time permits.

Good.  gfortran is good enough for our PLplot needs on Linux so
that MinGW binary put together by the GNU gfortran project is certainly
worth trying.  According to http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinariesWindows
the installer seems to give you quite a bit of flexibility about how/where
you install gfortran.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project