On 2007-01-17 11:51-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> I'm getting the following trying to compile on Fedora Core 6 with the
>> GNU java compiler:
>>
>> [ 15%] Generating plplot/core/plplotjavacJNI.class
>> cd /builddir/build/BUILD/plplot-5.7.1/fedora/bindings/java &&
>> /usr/bin/javac -classpath
>> /builddir/build/BUILD/plplot-5.7.1/fedora/bindings/java
>> /builddir/build/BUILD/plplot-5.7.1/fedora/bindings/java/plplotjavacJNI.java
>> -d /builddir/build/BUILD/plplot-5.7.1/fedora/bindings/java
>> ----------
>> 1. ERROR in
>> /builddir/build/BUILD/plplot-5.7.1/fedora/bindings/java/plplotjavacJNI.java
>> (at line 78)
>>          public final static native void PLGraphicsIn_type_set(long
>> jarg1, PLGraphicsIn jarg1_, int jarg2);
>>
>>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> PLGraphicsIn cannot be resolved to a type
>>
>> [... lots more snipped ...]
>>
>> Any ideas?  Maybe PLGraphicsIn.java needed to be compiled first?
>>

> Looks like a circular dependency - plplotjavacJNI depends on
> PLGraphicsIN and vice versa.  I'm no java person but it looks like you
> need an include file or forward class declaration in the source files.

Hi Orion:

I saw your recent post, but I am answering your earlier message since that
includes the error message you got with Fedora Core 6.  My apologies for
taking so long to respond.

Both plplotjavacJNI.java and PLGraphicsIN.java are files that are generated
by swig.  I just checked, and plplotjavacJNI.java generated on my Ubuntu
Dapper system with swig-1.3.27 has no type PLGraphicsIn for any of the
arguments.  For example, in replacement for the above line it uses the
following:

public final static native void PLGraphicsIn_type_set(long jarg1, int jarg2);

so there is no generated circular dependency with the Ubuntu Dapper version
of swig.

So my guess is you have run into a problem with the version of swig that
Fedora has adopted.  Just in case Fedora have made some bad patches to the
latest swig (1.3.31) or are using a bad earlier version, could you try to
replicate the problem with vanilla swig downloaded directly from the swig
site?  If you get the same error with latest vanilla swig, let me know, and
I will try and reproduce it here, see if we have to change our swig
configuration for that version, etc.  (IIRC, once or possibly twice before,
the swig 1.3.x series introduced an incompatible change that required
changing our swig configuration, but this hasn't happened for a long time.)

If you cannot reproduce the issue with the latest vanilla swig, then agitate
with fedora to use that version rather than the one they have adopted.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project