I have tried vanilla swig 1.3.31, and I confirm the problem.

Orion, I had a look at the swig documentation you recommended, and I must
say I don't understand enough Java to be able to follow your conclusion that
the -nopgcpp command-line option might help us out. However, I do know how
to try such command-line options (you later found this for yourself), and
the result was with -nopgcpp, java built and ctested fine with vanilla swig
1.3.31.  However, this option does cause trouble for my system version of
swig (1.3.27).

Therefore, I have committed some substantial changes to do some swig version
checking.  In particular, I have temporarily (until CMake adopts it) added
an experimental FindCMake.cmake module to PLplot which is just more reliable
than the current CMake version of this module, and which also provides
increased functionality such as returning SWIG_VERSION.  (A side effect of
this new module is the vanilla version of swig-1.3.31 can easily be tried out.
All you have to do is put the new version on your PATH.)

The result of the changes is swig versions older than 1.3.22 are not
accepted (set(SWIG_FOUND OFF)), and the -nopgcpp command-line option is only
used for swig versions >= 1.3.30 (I chose this limit according to one of the
tests that you did).

Could you please try the CVS version of PLplot now?

Andrew (Ross), could you please review my solution (in particular, can you
explain the necessity of -nopgcpp for newer versions of swig?)

Thanks, Orion, for all your investigations of this issue.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project