On 2007-01-30 09:50-0000 Andrew Ross wrote:

> Aaargh!
>
> I've discovered the source of the error. Somewhere between 1.3.24
> (default version on Debian stable) and 1.3.28 (version on Ubuntu edgy)
> the behaviour of swig changed so the output of "swig -version" was
> directed to standard output rather than standard error. This explains
> the blank output for SWIG_version_output on Debian stable.

1.3.27 on Ubuntu dapper is still directed to stdout (which is why I didn't
see this error).  The change from stdout to stderr that you discovered
is ugly indeed.

> Modification commited to CVS to check ERROR_VARIABLE if
> OUTPUT_VARIABLE is blank. Now works again for me.

Thanks, Andrew, for sorting this out.

Note, I imported this version from the CMake bug system. From "cvs log
FindSWIG.cmake" :

revision 1.1
date: 2007/01/23 21:21:25;  author: airwin;  state: Exp;
MUCH better FindSWIG.cmake module downloaded from
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=4145 (click on
FindSWIG.cmake-4)....

I just checked, and FindSWIG.cmake-4 continues to be the last version there.
Were you going to follow up with your "FindSWIG.cmake-5" to that location
(plus an explanation of the horrible stderr change) or would you like me to
do it?

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project