On 2007-03-14 18:20-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I have just now finally figured out how to use the first form of TRY_COMPILE
> for the Ada language testing.  This makes the Ada language test similar to
> any add_executable with Ada.  Thus, any changes to the Ada build rules (such
> as the one I just put in for the http://macada.org/ users [e.g., Jerry] on
> Mac OS X) automatically get used now for the Ada language test.
>
> I believe (since I am an optimist) that this should be the last change Jerry
> needs so he can build the Ada interface to PLplot and run the Ada examples
> with ctest on his Mac OS X/macada.org platform.  But if something more is
> needed, I am confident we will be able to figure it out.

Well, I was too optimistic. :-)

Jerry continued to have problems, but he kindly sent me a really clear
script of exactly what he did + full cmake.out results which eliminated all
sorts of possibilities and eventually lead me to look in minute detail at
what happens on Linux. If you force verbose output for the TRY_COMPILE step
it turns out the TRY_COMPILE is still not working correctly! In the Linux
case it manages to escape the problem and return success even though a
nonsensical command was used rather than a test of an Ada build.  On Mac OS
X it completely fails to escape the TRY_COMPILE problem and returns a
failure.

For now, I have temporarily replaced this non-working test with something
innocuous that should always return success on all platforms.  After all,
testing the Ada builder in a complicated (and poorly documented!)
TRY_COMPILE environment is a refinement, and for now it is probably better
to let Ada errors show up under an ordinary make or ctest environment
instead where everything is much better understood.

Jerry, please let me know whether this simplifying change allows you to
proceed further.

Also, I wish to thank you publicly for giving me especially clear test
results which helped me to discover this on-going problem with testing the
Ada builder under a TRY_COMPILE environment.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project