On 2007-03-15 12:06-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Jerry continued to have problems, but he kindly sent me a really clear
> script of exactly what he did + full cmake.out results which eliminated all
> sorts of possibilities and eventually lead me to look in minute detail at
> what happens on Linux. If you force verbose output for the TRY_COMPILE step
> it turns out the TRY_COMPILE is still not working correctly! In the Linux
> case it manages to escape the problem and return success even though a
> nonsensical command was used rather than a test of an Ada build.  On Mac OS
> X it completely fails to escape the TRY_COMPILE problem and returns a
> failure.
>
> For now, I have temporarily replaced this non-working test with something
> innocuous that should always return success on all platforms.  After all,
> testing the Ada builder in a complicated (and poorly documented!)
> TRY_COMPILE environment is a refinement, and for now it is probably better
> to let Ada errors show up under an ordinary make or ctest environment
> instead where everything is much better understood.
>
> Jerry, please let me know whether this simplifying change allows you to
> proceed further.

Jerry reported further progress off-list, we had several more iterations,
and now I can report he can do a cmake, make, and make install without
problems for CVS HEAD.  Furthermore, his own non-cmake build of some of his
private examples now works with the latest (installed?) libplplot library
for the first time.  So that is all good progress, but there are still the
following issues.

(1) Jerry's successful test reported above of "make install" is certainly a
worthwhile test of the install of non-Ada PLplot software, but it is not
relevant to the install of Ada PLplot software since I am waiting to
implement that until after the build-tree Ada issues (e.g., ctest, see
below) are solved.

(2) ctest does not work with the Ada examples on Mac OS X for Jerry.
Apparently "make" builds the Ada executables without obvious errors, but the
build-tree libplplotadad library cannot be found at run time.

Does anybody here know the Mac OS X equivalent of the Linux LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
(It was mentioned a year or two ago on list, but I have forgotten its name.)
Setting that environment variable may be required before the x01a, etc., Ada
examples will work in the build tree.

Hazen, I have an important question for you.  What are your current results
(after "cmake -DBUILD_TEST=ON" and  "make" are run) for

ctest --verbose --tests-regex c

?  Do you have to set any environment variables (see question above about
the Mac OS X equivalent of LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to get the build-tree
C examples run by the above ctest invocation to work?

If you have no problems with ctest for the C examples, and Jerry does (not
proved yet one way or the other), then that might give a clue about what
is going wrong for his attempt to run Ada examples that were built
in the build tree.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project