gfortran has the following error as a result of Arjen's recent
transfer1 change:

/home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/plplot_cmake/bindings/f95/configurable.f90:
In function รข:
/home/software/plplot_cvs/HEAD/plplot_cmake/bindings/f95/configurable.f90:44:
fatal error: gfc_todo: Not Implemented: Scalarization of non-elemental
intrinsic:
__transfer1
compilation terminated.

This is the Ubuntu dapper version

GNU Fortran 95 (GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5))

I notice in the gcc 4.2.1 release notes on the web there is a new test for
transfer1 so this may not be an issue for more modern gcc/gfortran, but I
am not in a position to test that myself.

Can somebody with a cutting-edge platform try gfortran 4.2.1 or later to see
if Arjen's change works for that?  Once we have that information we can
decide what to do.