On 2007-09-07 18:30-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> So why am I getting the above error at link time for plplotcanvas_demo?
>
> Further investigation shows an unexpected result.  If I go ahead and link
> plplotcanvas_demo with the additional option -Wl,--warn-unresolved-symbols
> (which turns unresolved symbols into warnings rather than fatal errors), the
> resulting plplotcanvas_demo passes the "ldd -r" test, i.e., the libXft and
> libfreetype libraries are found at /home/software/pango_stack/install/lib/
> and there are no unresolved references!  Furthermore, plplotcanvas_demo runs
> without problems.
>
> So basically the linker says one thing (contrary to the nm -a evidence) and
> ldd (which I believe invokes the run-time loader) says another about
> unresolved references.
>
> Does anybody have a clue about any way (other than a linker bug) that
> such an inconsistency might be possible?
>
> If you agree this is a really strange linking result that might be due to a
> bug in my Debian sarge linker, I would appreciate some attempts at
> confirmation on other platforms by building and installing the latest PLplot
> from svn (on a fully loaded development platform that includes what is
> needed to build the gnome canvas interface) and running make in the
> installed examples/c directory.
>
> In fact, I am going to try the same test on my Ubuntu Dapper platform (where
> I have a pango stack built from exactly the same source as on my Debian
> sarge platform), but it is going to take a while (it is a 600MHz box) so I
> will report later.

For the Ubuntu Dapper platform, plplotcanvas_demo links without issues,
however, the evidence is inconclusive because for that platform libXft is
not a dependence of any of the libraries that plplotcanvas_demo links to so
it is not listed by ldd.  So before reporting a result for your favorite
platform, please apply ldd to plplotcanvas_demo to see whether libXft is
involved.

Also, just out of general curiosity about linking issues, I would be most
interested if anybody can come up with a scenario on Linux platforms (other
than a linker bug or ldd bug) where 'ldd -r' and the linker disagree on
whether there are unresolved references.