On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:13 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> From what I have read, I believe we are ready (at least as good as
> before
> and very likely much better) on Cygwin, but I am a little uneasy
> about the
> complete lack of reported platform testing of the changes that have
> been
> made since 5.8.0-RC1.  Has anybody done a Linux or Mac OS X test of
> the
> latest svn trunk? Reports of MinGW (with and without MSYS) and bare
> windows
> tests would be nice as well. Currently, I am tied up with installing a
> Debian testing distro on my new computer so unfortunately I cannot
> lead by
> example here by giving any Linux reports, but hopefully a lot of you
> will step in with your own reports to make up for that.

You inspired me to do some OS-X testing. It seems to build fine.
Running ./plplot-test.sh was somewhat less succesful.

[snip]
Testing front-end f95
PLplot library version: 5.8.0-RC1

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
UTF-8 string is malformed: UTF-8 st, aborting operation

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
UTF-8 string is malformed: UTF-8 stri, aborting operation
Testing front-end java
Unable to find native code library.

Testing front-end octave
/usr/local/share/plplot5.8.0-RC1/examples/..

*** plstyl:

plstyl(mark, space)

Set up a new line style

Additional help for built-in functions, operators, and variables
is available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
`help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailing list.

error: called from `plsstrm'
error: evaluating if command near line 86, column 3
error: called from `figure' in file `/usr/local/share/plplot_octave/
figure.m'
error: evaluating for command near line 4, column 1

It looks like there are problems with F95, java and octave. Version
information:

gfortran --version
GNU Fortran 95 (GCC) 4.2.0 20060512 (experimental)

java -version
java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

octave -version
GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0).
Copyright (C) 2006 John W. Eaton.

-Hazen