Geoffrey, your attached message bounced for some reason.  Did you
mail it with the same return address as your subscription address?

Anyhow, I am forwarding it to the list for you.

--- Begin Message ---
Alan W. Irwin writes:
 > Has anybody done a Linux or Mac OS X test of the latest svn trunk?

I'm working on Fedora 7.  I have a fairly fresh checkout (1 or 2 days old),
and am having some trouble with getting the python binding working.  Could be
operator error or confusion here, but anyway, these are the details.

python 2.5.1 configured/installed to a particular --prefix location, where
Tcl, Tk are also installed.

I have further fetched the latest numpy (1.0.3.1) and built/installed it
using that same python.  If I run that python executable, I get:

 % ./bin/python
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Nov  2 2007, 09:24:57)
>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.test()
  Found 10 tests for numpy.core.defmatrix
  Found 36 tests for numpy.core.ma
  Found 208 tests for numpy.core.multiarray

So, python is built, numpy is built/installed to the same python, and numpy
can be found.

But, when I try to build plplot, the CBS tells me:

-- X11_FOUND = 1
-- X11_INCLUDE_DIR = /usr/include
-- X11_COMPILE_FLAGS = -I/usr/include
-- X11_LIBRARIES = -lSM;-lICE;/usr/lib64/libX11.so;/usr/lib64/libXext.so
-- X11_LIBRARY_DIR = /usr/lib64
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named numpy
-- WARNING: Numeric header not found. Disabling python bindings
-- WARNING: octave not found. Disabling octave bindings
-- Looking for include paths and libraries for Tcl/Tk
-- Looking for include paths and libraries for Tcl/Tk - found

The subsequent lines show that it is finding Tcl/Tk from the prefix zone, as
it should.  So it's definitely finding some things in the
prefix-under-construction.

But python/numpy isn't being recognized for some reason.

It seems to me that python.cmake must be somehow coming up with the wrong
path:

if(ENABLE_python AND NOT NUMERIC_INCLUDE_PATH)
  if (HAVE_NUMPY)
  # First check for new version of numpy (replaces Numeric)
  execute_process(
  COMMAND
  ${PYTHON_EXECUTABLE} -c "import numpy; print numpy.get_include()"
  OUTPUT_VARIABLE NUMPY_INCLUDE_PATH
  RESULT_VARIABLE NUMPY_ERR
  OUTPUT_STRIP_TRAILING_WHITESPACE
  )

Because when I issue that command to the prefix's python, it works fine.

So, I guess a basic question is, how could I modify python.cmake to print out
the PYTHON_EXECUTABLE it found, so I could check that theory?

Ahhh.  I have found in CMakeCache.txt:

//Path to a program.
PYTHON_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/python2.5

which is not the python in the prefix zone that I want it to use.  The
subsequent lines show that the includes and libs are being found in my
prefix, but the executable is not.

The prefix under construction is not on my path.  But that doesn't seem to
prevent PLplot's CBS from finding the right Tcl and Tk.  So I guess the
question is, how can I make "find_package(PythonInterp)" find the python
that's in the prefix, instead of the one that's in the path?

Thanks in advance,

--
Geoffrey Furnish               Lightspeed Logic

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

--- End Message ---