On 2008-06-19 10:31+0200 Werner Smekal wrote:

(reordered for clarity)
> On 10.06.2008, at 19:57, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> Tentatively fixed as of revision 8473.  Instead of replacing all blanks by
>> ";" (the list element delimiter), I now replace all blanks followed by a
>> hyphen (the signal there is another independent link flag to process) by
>> ";-" to insure that blank-delimited single library flags are treated as
>> one
>> element of the resulting list.
>>
>> Werner, does this fix solve your problem?

> yes, this fixes my problem on Mac OS X. I get now the following output:
>
> wxWidgets_LIBRARIES = -framework QuickTime;-framework IOKit;-framework
> Carbon;-framework Cocoa;-framework System;;-lwx_macud-2.8
> wxwidgets_LINK_FLAGS = -framework QuickTime;-framework IOKit;-framework
> Carbon;-framework Cocoa;-framework System;/usr/lib/libwx_macud-2.8.dylib
>
> and plplot compiles now more or or less nicely on Mac OS X.

Thanks, Werner, for checking that the fix (to the cmake_link_flags macro
in cmake/modules/pkg-config.cmake) actually solved the Mac OS X problem you
identified.

Important Note for all Developers

Now that Werner has shown the fix (to allow white-space delimited linker
options for the results from pkg-config and wx-config) actually works for
his Mac OS X platform it needs further testing on all platforms. The reason
this testing is required is that certain components of PLplot (such as the
psttf, cairo, and gcw device drivers) depend on pkg-config and, of course,
the wxwidgets device driver depends on wx-config. Therefore, on some
platforms it is conceivable that the fix has introduced unforseen problems
for these components. It obviously works for Werner on Mac OS X (although he
may not have been using all components of PLplot that depend on pkg-config
there), and it also works for the default build (which does include most/all
pkg-config and wx-config related components) on my fully loaded Debian
testing platform.

Please take this opportunity to test the build of the latest version of
PLplot from svn trunk to make sure this fix does not introduce build
problems for the platforms and PLplot components that are accessible to you.