On 2009-02-17 20:09+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
>> For the record, what platform produced the above result?
>>
> Ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit). Windows as well, although differences are found for
> example 14 in the standard output - which I can't confirm, since the output
> is identical (tested with winmerge). I think the script needs further
> modifications.

Hi Werner (off list):

winmerge is probably not exactly what the script does.
Follow the script by hand to see exactly what is going on.

The actual test of stdout differences is implemented this way:

@DIFF_EXECUTABLE@ -q x${xsuffix_c}${index}c_psc.txt
x${xsuffix}${index}${suffix}_psc.txt 2>&1 > /dev/null
  if [ $? != 0 ] ; then

where @DIFF_EXECUTABLE@ is replaced by whatever is configured on your
windows platform for diff, ${xsuffix} is empty, ${index} is 14 and ${suffix}
is lua.  I would also drop the -q option and the 2>&1 > /dev/null so you can
see exactly what the differences are.  Furthermore, you find out what the $?
variable is (the return code from the programme run immediately previously)
by simply immediately echoing it.  That return code should be zero if the
two files are absolutely identical and no other problems occurred.

So assuming the name of @DIFF_EXECUTABLE@ is diff, doing the test by
hand boils down to

diff x14c_psc.txt x14lua_psc.txt
echo $?