I just rediscovered the -np (no pause) option which means the interactive
plot goes through all pages and completes without any interaction from the
user. It turns out all our interactive devices honour that option so I have
used it in plplot_test/test_c_interactive.sh.in (revision 10823).

What this means in practical terms is that the ease of use of the
test_interactive target has vastly improved (since you don't have to click
through all the pages of the subset of the standard examples that are run
for each interactive device).  There are a few special interactive plots left
which require intervention from the user, but the ease of use is vastly
improved over what we had before with this target.

The plots from the standard example subset with -np option do come and go so
fast that you won't be able to see individual results and therefore
rendering errors too clearly.  However, the rendering errors are well known,
and what is more important from the overall testing perspective
is run-time errors.

If you run the test like this;

make -j4 -k test_interactive >& make_test_interactive.out

you can capture any major run-time errors (such as the last two I posted to
the list) quite easily.  Now that the ease of use is vastly improved, I
encourage everyone here to try the above test (or Windows equivalent with
nmake or jom [which is a replacement for nmake which allows parallel
builds/tests]) and report results in the table in README.release.