Hi David:

I changed the subject line for obvious reasons.

On 2010-02-26 14:09-0800 David MacMahon wrote:

> As you all know by now, I'm working on Ruby bindings to PLplot.  I am
> (still) almost ready for a first release.  There's always "a few more
> things"!  :-)

You may have done this already, but I highly recommend that you implement
the standard set of 31 examples in ruby.  The test_diff_psc target (which is
a subset of the test_noninteractive target) has been implemented to compare
Postscript results from all our official bindings with Postscript results
from the standard C examples.  This has proved to be a powerful tool to
diagnose even subtle bugs in the bindings, but complete coverage of the API
does require implementing the complete standard set of examples in each set
of bindings.

The above suggestion pertains regardless of whether you are going to donate
your ruby bindings to PLplot or not.  However, if you do intend such a
donation (under the LGPL), then you don't have to wait for perfection. For
example, a donation would be fine if you just had at least the first
standard example working since that would give me an opportunity to do the
required initial build system changes to accomodate your initial list of
implemented standard examples (if you haven't already done those build
system changes in your initial donation).

After all, we can disable the ruby bindings by default until they build and
test without issues, and thus they won't interfere with normal use of
PLplot.  Furthermore, there will be plenty of opportunity for you to send
patches in later to implement required bindings changes and add more
standard example implementations.  In fact, I would positively encourage
such maintenance.  :-)