I just ran this...

x02c -dev xcairo -bg 0000ff_0.3

...and noticed on the second plot I can "see through" to the first
plot.  I don't think I have any other non-cairo, alpha-capable
drivers built so I can't tell if it's cairo-related or more general.
Here are the devices I have available...

Plotting Options:
  < 1> xwin       X-Window (Xlib)
  < 2> tk         Tcl/TK Window
  < 3> ps         PostScript File (monochrome)
  < 4> psc        PostScript File (color)
  < 5> xfig       Fig file
  < 6> null       Null device
  < 7> tkwin      New tk driver
  < 8> mem        User-supplied memory device
  < 9> aqt        AquaTerm (Mac OS X)
  <10> psttf      PostScript File (monochrome)
  <11> psttfc     PostScript File (color)
  <12> svg        Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG 1.1)
  <13> xcairo     Cairo X Windows Driver
  <14> pdfcairo   Cairo PDF Driver
  <15> pscairo    Cairo PS Driver
  <16> svgcairo   Cairo SVG Driver
  <17> pngcairo   Cairo PNG Driver
  <18> extcairo   Cairo External Context Driver

Can someone with qt devices please try this?

Thanks,
Dave