On Mar 15, 2010, at 14:32 , Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Then "display -immutable test_transparent.png"
>
> really does show the desktop underneath the plot which indeed is a
> really cool-looking effect.

Using a very recent ImageMagick (6.6.0), "display" gives me the
checkerboard background without the "-immutable" option and a black
background with that option when looking at an image with a
transparent background.  This might be an X server limitation or
window manager limitation, but it shows that this feature is not
universally available.

> (Without that -immutable option, display replaces a transparent
> background
> with a checkerboard background which apparently is something of an
> industry
> standard to signal you really do have a transparent background.)

I agree that this *can be* a really cool-looking effect, but IMHO it
can also be a really annoying/confusing looking effect (depending on
what's underneath/behind).  I think it would be nice to provide the
user the ability to choose how transparent backgrounds are rendered
(i.e. either "see-through" to windows underneath/behind or use a
predefined opaque background, e.g. checkerboard).

Dave