On Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 12:29:42 (-0500) Geoffrey Furnish writes:
 > BTW, the only difference I see in example 21 postscript output, is the time
 > stamp:
 >
 > [furn...@ziffy]~/devel/pldev/test/examples% diff x21c.psc x21t.psc
 > 6c6
 > < %%CreationDate: Sat May  8 23:48:27 2010
 > ---
 > > %%CreationDate: Sat May  8 23:46:23 2010
 > [furn...@ziffy]~/devel/pldev/test/examples%
 >
 > When I investigated x19, there were huge differences oweing to coordinate
 > transformation problems.  However, I assumed the timestamp differnece was
 > just being ignored.
 >
 > But with x21, all I see is the timestamp difference.  Is the test output
 > differ taking this into account?
 >
 > Frankly, I don't like the idea of a timestamp in an output file, for exactly
 > this reason.  It makes for differences in files that would otherwise be
 > identical.  Could we just take the timestamp line out of all the psc output?
 > Why is it there, anyway?  Is it a postscript specification?

According to the postscript reference at:

http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/pdfs/PLRM.pdf

the CreationDate command ref is as follows.  By my reading it probably can be
tossed, but I'm no postscript expert.

CreationDate string

(Optional; LanguageLevel 3) The date and time at which the color rendering
dictionary was created or most recently modified. The value of this entry
should be coordinated with the calibrationDateTimeTag attribute of any
associated ICC profile, and its syntax should conform to the international
standard ASN.1, defined in the document ITU X.208 or ISO/IEC 8824. (ICC
profiles are a standard means, defined by an organization called the
International
Color Consortium, for describing the color properties of a device;
they can be translated in a straightforward way to or from a PostScript
rendering
dictionary.) This entry is included for information only; the Post-
Script interpreter does not consult it.

--
Maurice LeBrun