On 2014-08-15 14:49-0000 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>

> Forgot your last question:
>

> For regular builds I use the nmake utility but if I need to trace
some nasty bug then I do indeed rely on the IDE and the debugger – but
quite often the venerable print method also works ;).

Hi Phil and Arjen:

If you are using a gcc compiler on Windows (i.e., Cygwin, MinGW, or
MinGW-w64), then gdb is an excellent debugger that is worth learning.
The only debugger I use on Linux is gdb, and I have had a lot of
success with it on that platform.  I have used gdb on MinGW/Wine only
a few times (since there has been so few MinGW-only debugging
situations), but when I have used it, I have had similar success.

If I recall correctly, Arjen once tried gdb on Cygwin without much
success, but my guess is he simply missed one essential in its use
which is gcc by default does not include debugging symbols in compiled
results, and gdb is pretty useless in those circumstances.  Instead,
for debugging situations you have to rebuild from scratch using the
gcc -g option (or remember to compile all the time with that option)
which includes the debugging symbols in compiled results that are
required by gdb.