On 2014-08-21 10:26-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2014-08-21 06:20-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:
>

>>> @Everybody:
>>> Instead of writing a rebase workflow document myself that we could
>>> use, I have been looking for something like that written by someone
>>> else. What do you think of adopting (the quite restrictive) rebase
>>> workflow outlined in
>>> <http://kevinold.com/2013/04/17/my-git-workflow.html> to start?  No
>>> integration branches other than master.  No published topic branches.
>>> But dead simple and very much like our previous svn-based workflow.
>>
>> Looks good to me. I think we should at least make a copy in the project,
>> which I volunteer to do once we can commit again.  I'll update
>> README.developers unless someone thinks this is better somewhere else.
>
> Yes, please!
>
> I think this deserves its own file.  So I assume you will call that
> file README.git_workflow, and I will output that name to the user in
> the update hook logic I hope to test (in a mini-project) and then
> install in our SF repo later today.  Once I get that installed, I will
> make the git repo pushable by all our developers, and we will be live!

OK. Here is the message that results (in a test mini-project) from a push
of a master containing a merge commit:

software@raven> git push
Counting objects: 6, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
Writing objects: 100% (4/4), 445 bytes, done.
Total 4 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (4/4), done.
remote: Checking:
1a21a86d84d4d362548a6f8afdd14c2f3a3032901a21a86d84d4d362548a6f8afdd14c2f3a303290
is a merge commit found on the master branch which is not allowed by
the rebase workflow of the PLplot project.  To avoid this reject of
your push, please consult the documentation of the PLplot workflow in
the file README.git_workflow.
remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
/home/software/plplot_svn/svn2git_conversion/update_hook/test_hook_remote/
  ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
  error: failed to push some refs to
'/home/software/plplot_svn/svn2git_conversion/update_hook/test_hook_remote/'

Here is how I uploaded the new update hook to SF.  (These
instructions belong in a file, but should that be README.git_workflow,
README.developers, or README.Release_Manager_Cookbook?)

# This needed to give shell access for 240 minutes before your
# SourceForge shell access disappears again.
ssh airwin,plp...@shell.sourceforge.net create
# Backup current SF updates hook
scp
airwin,plp...@shell.sourceforge.net:/home/git/p/plplot/plplot.git/hooks/update
update_backup
cp update_backup update
# edit update
# Upload the new version
scp update
airwin,plp...@shell.sourceforge.net:/home/git/p/plplot/plplot.git/hooks

# Check permissions:
ssh airwin,plp...@shell.sourceforge.net "ls -l
/home/git/p/plplot/plplot.git/hooks/update"
# Fix permissions (if required)
ssh airwin,plp...@shell.sourceforge.net "chmod a+x
/home/git/p/plplot/plplot.git/hooks/update"

I have just changed the SF permissions at
sf.net/projects/plplot --> admin --> tools so
our SF git repo ("Code" on that page) is writeable by core developers.

So (drumroll, please....) we are now live, and
welcome to the git development era for PLplot!