I had the same problem with "git am" (which uses "git apply" from what I
understand).  I did a "git fetch" and "git merge" before "git am"

bash-3.2$ git am --whitespace=warn ../mbox
Applying: Redesigned wxWidgets Driver
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:13:
 trailing whitespace.
// Needed for clock_gettime
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:14:
 trailing whitespace.
#include <time.h>
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:23:
 trailing whitespace.
        const size_t          mapSize = 1024 * 1024;
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:28:
 trailing whitespace.
        int                   nTries = 0;
/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch:29:
 trailing whitespace.
        char                  mapName[PLPLOT_MAX_PATH];
error: patch failed: drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp:34
error: drivers/wxwidgets_dev.cpp: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 Redesigned wxWidgets Driver
The copy of the patch that failed is found in:

/Volumes/home/Users/jim/Development/plplot/plplot-plplot/.git/rebase-apply/patch
When you have resolved this problem, run "git am --resolved".
If you prefer to skip this patch, run "git am --skip" instead.
To restore the original branch and stop patching, run "git am --abort".