> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:08 PM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim:
>
> Could you clarify the purpose of the -mfi and -mfo options
> and the plreadmetafile routine?

-mfi sets the file name that plreadmetafile will use if one is not otherwise
specified by the caller. Nothing will happen unless there is a plreadmetafile()
call in the program.

-mfo option is a placeholder at this point. What it will do is save all the
plots to a metafile simultaneous with the output device. I have not decided
what to do if plmeta is selected.

> It appears the options simply set metafile input and output file names without
> doing anything else contrary to their self documentation in src/plargs.c
> of "Read the specified PLplot metafile" and "Write the plot to the
> specified PLplot metafile".
>
> The only potential actual use of mf_infile I can find within the
> source tree is in plreadmetafile.  That function appears to do
> something similar to plrender, and it is only used in
> examples/c/test_plbuf.c with an explicit name rather than NULL so the
> result is mf_infile is just a placeholder (i.e., never actually used
> in our current source tree).

I set a name in test_plbuf just to make it easier during testing. I set it up
to support both ways because both ways are useful. Right now the metafile is
rendered with a plreadmetafile() call. I experimented with different
approaches, but settled on triggering the rendering with a function call. This
merits further discussion after release.

> By the way, if my interpretation of the purpose of plreadmetafile is
> correct, can plrender simply call plreadmetafile (with an explicit
> name for the plmeta file as read from the command line) to allow
> removal of a lot of (redundant) code from plrender?

Absolutely. After release I'm going to remove all the parsing code. I'm also
going to add the capability to read from shared memory and over the network.

> I can also find no actual use of mf_outfile anywhere in the source
> tree.  So this appears to be a placeholder as well.

Yep, it will be the "tee" command in Unix.