When I was working on reviving my new windows driver, I took a detour on
cleaning up some code to help improve warnings and errors.

The attached patch series moves the plwarn() etc from plctrl.c to a new file
plerror.c.  I also cleaned up a bunch of fprintf(stderr, …) into plwarn() or
plexit() calls and removed some exit() calls.  I modified plwarn() etc to use
variable arguments and was able to eliminate some buffer arrays.

The changes appear not have broken anything (though it is hard to test because
most of the changes execute on errors).  Any volunteers on testing before
applying to the repository? Thanks.