Hi Alan,

I guess this is because there was not all that much to be built: just the C
library and the Fortran binding plus examples. I have had serious problems with
parallel builds indeed. So my script to run the full test suite does set the
build command to "make". Perhaps I should do that for the limited test script
as well.

> Furthermore,
> comprehensive_test.sh.out showed no errors;
>
> grep -i error */*/output_tree/*.out
>
> and
>
> grep -B1 -A3 "Missing examples" */*/output_tree/*.out |less
>
> gave perfect results; and there were no significant warnings in
> shared/noninteractive/output_tree/make_noninteractive.out or
> shared/noninteractive/output_tree/cmake.out.
>
> However, a final check
>
> grep local shared/noninteractive/output_tree/cmake.out
>
> yielded
>
> -- FindShapelib: Found shapelib header directory, /usr/local/include, and
> library,
> /usr/lib/libshp.a.
>
> indicating a potentially serious inconsistency between the Cygwin location of
> /usr/lib/libshp.a and the headers of some local non-Cygwin version of
> shapelib.
> That inconsistency obviously caused no trouble for your current tests, but it
> is an
> "accident waiting to happen"
> which might occur any time you upgrade the Cygwin version of shapelib.
>
> A Cygwin package search reveals there is no Cygwin package (at least for
> up-to-
> date Cygwin) that includes libshp.a.  So I wonder if /usr/lib/libshp.a above
> is from
> some older version of Cygwin?

No, I think it is the X shape extension, which allows for non-rectangular
window shapes. Apparently CMake gets confused, but the build is done without
issues.

> Also, the relevant header file being searched for is called shapefil.h, and
> that (and
> /usr/lib/libshp.dll.a which is the relevant Cygwin shapefile library that you
> should
> have found above) should be installed as part of the libshp-devel-1.3.0-1
> package.
>
> Anyhow, I suspect this issue will go away once you install the
> libshp-devel-1.3.0-1 Cygwin package (which should automatically get rid of the
> above /usr/lib/libshp.a if that is from some previous version of Cygwin).
>
> This may or may not be relevant to the above issue, but I notice in
> comprehensive_env.out that your PATH variable includes /usr/local/bin which
> significantly affects CMake find capabilities, i.e., in general, if a PATH
> component is
> PREFIX/bin, CMake will search other standard locations, (e.g., PREFIX/include)
> associated with that PREFIX for include files (and similarly for libraries).
> Anyhow,
> you only want to depend on pure Cygwin software for these tests, so I suggest
> you
> remove /usr/local/bin from your PATH for all subsequent Cygwin tests.

Right, this is part of the Cygwin shell. I will have to remove that segment
from the PATH variable or else rename that directory.

> In sum, your Fortran test report is encouraging for this platform, but I will
> wait for
> your next Cygwin test (of my latest Fortran commit) with the parallel make
> and ctest
> options dropped, and this shapelib and /usr/local/bin issue fixed before
> posting your
> Cygwin Fortran-constrained comprehensive test reports to our Wiki.

Good :)

> 2. MinGW-w64/MSYS2
>
> After unpacking your report tarball, I didn't spot anything unusual in your
> comprehensive test script arguments.  For example, there is no parallel build
> or
> ctest option which is correct for this platform (and also Cygwin, see above
> comment).
>
> Furthermore,
> comprehensive_test.sh.out showed no errors; and
>
> grep -i error */*/output_tree/*.out
>
> and
>
> grep -B1 -A3 "Missing examples" */*/output_tree/*.out |less
>
> gave perfect results.
>
> However, shared/noninteractive/output_tree/cmake.out showed that libqhull was
> missing which adds some important core capabilities to PLplot. If you look at
> the
> (dated) package list at <https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Packages/>
> MinGW-
> w64/MSYS2 does include a qhull-related package.  So you should install the
> latest
> version of that package to address this issue.  Also, I highly recommend (if
> you
> haven't done so already) you reinstall
> MinGW-w64/MSYS2 from scratch following the procedure given in
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2
> installation/<https://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/MSYS2%20installation/>> to
> get access to the
> latest much-simplified update procedure before installing PLplot dependencies
> including the qhull-related package.

That will take me some time to do - I will try and find time for that over the
weekend.

> Furthermore,
>
> grep local shared/noninteractive/output_tree/cmake.out
>
> found no "local" issue, and no significant warnings appeared in
> shared/noninteractive/output_tree/make_noninteractive.out other than the
> expected
> warnings about libqhull-related functionality being missing.
>
> In sum, your Fortran test report is encouraging on this platform, but I will
> wait for
> your next MinGW-w64/MSYS2 test (of my latest Fortran
> commit) with reinstalled MinGW-w64/MSYS2 (if you haven't done that
> already) and the qhull-related package installed, before posting your
> MinGW-w64/MSYS2 Fortran-constrained comprehensive test reports to our Wiki.

So, to be continued.

Regards,

Arjen

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message.
Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The
Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way
whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper,
incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.