On 2017-02-21 11:01-0800 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Yesterday for the second time in two months an interactive
> comprehensive test failed with a "ValueError: bad marshal data
> (unknown type code)" error for bindings/python/Plframe.py.
[.... These errors were so common]
> that the python developers list in 2013 became
> concerned that python would be subject to race conditions when
> generating these files and thus was the author of at least some of
> these corruptions (see discussion thread at
> <https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2013-May/126241.html>
> with the subject line "[Python-Dev] Mysterious Python pyc file
> corruption problems".

I have now been in contact with the OP, Barry Warsaw of python.org, of
that thread who was quite helpful.  For example, Barry told me that
Python is designed so it is frankly impossible for

import Plframe
from Plframe import *

to race (i.e., the first import completely finishes before the second
one starts).  And I cannot find any other cases where Plframe is
imported.  So I think the best bet for explaining this *.pyc
Python-generated file corruption is some unknown Python 2 bug that
does not have anything to do with races.  I got the sense from
what Barry said that he feels Python 3 is now much more reliable than
Python 2.  So this may be another instance of that general idea.

Anyhow, I think the next step is to test whether this corruption
occurs for Python 3.  (And if it does I get the sense that Barry would
be anxious to figure out what that Python 3 bug was.)

@Hazen:

This issue lends lots of additional motivation for making PLplot work
correctly with Python 3.  So please go ahead and push your Python 3
topic as soon as it is in reasonable state, and we can mature it
further (if necessary) from there.