On 02/21/2017 09:26 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I have now been in contact with the OP, Barry Warsaw of python.org, of
> that thread who was quite helpful.  For example, Barry told me that
> Python is designed so it is frankly impossible for
>
> import Plframe
> from Plframe import *
>
> to race (i.e., the first import completely finishes before the second
> one starts).  And I cannot find any other cases where Plframe is
> imported.  So I think the best bet for explaining this *.pyc
> Python-generated file corruption is some unknown Python 2 bug that
> does not have anything to do with races.  I got the sense from
> what Barry said that he feels Python 3 is now much more reliable than
> Python 2.  So this may be another instance of that general idea.
>
> Anyhow, I think the next step is to test whether this corruption
> occurs for Python 3.  (And if it does I get the sense that Barry would
> be anxious to figure out what that Python 3 bug was.)
>
> @Hazen:
>
> This issue lends lots of additional motivation for making PLplot work
> correctly with Python 3.  So please go ahead and push your Python 3
> topic as soon as it is in reasonable state, and we can mature it
> further (if necessary) from there.

Pushed.

One possibly important thing to note is that Python3 does not allow a
mix of tabs and spaces in a file. So these changes are less extensive
then they might appear as a lot of it was converting the examples to be
all spaces. And hopefully our file formatting utility will not introduce
regressions.

-Hazen