On 2019-07-31 12:44+0100 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

Thanks Alan
I've just tried again with the style_source script, but I'm hitting
another problem. I now get the error:

File "scripts/convert_comment.py", line 72
   raise RuntimeError, "Cannot interpret trailing character(s) after
*/ for this line"
                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
ERROR: scripts/convert_comment.py failed for file plplot_config.h.in

Any suggestions? I have both python 2 and 3 installed.

That error message comes from this logic in scripts/convert_comment.py
which hasn't been changed (from git blame -w) since 2010.

    # Note trailing "\n" has not (yet) been removed from line so
    # that the next to last character is at position len(line) - 3.
    if end_comment >=0 and end_comment !=  len(line) - 3:
        if ifsingleline and start_comment >=0:
            # Skip most further processing for a line with embedded
            # comments outside of multiline blocks of comments.
            start_comment = -1
            end_comment = -1
        else:
            sys.stderr.write(line)
            raise RuntimeError, "Cannot interpret trailing character(s) after */ for
this line"

So that error message should have included the results from
sys.stderr.write(line)
from the line in plplot_config.h.in that is stored in the Python "line" variable
that appears to be causing this python logic problem.

The usual interpretation of this error message is you have commentary
in plplot_config.h.in which is not in legitimate form.  For example,
you might have forgotten the trailing "*/" on a comment.  So I would
test that possibility by attempting to build the plplot target before
styling, which would necessarily attempt to compile the configured
plplot_config.h.

However, if that "easy" answer is not the correct one, please send the
complete error message including the output of the Python "line" variable
that is causing the issue.

Of course, the above Python logic only works if there are no
line-ending issues in Python, i.e., the Python "line" variable
contains a string that is terminated simply by \n rather than
\r\n. And note that by git default plplot_config.h.in will have \r\n
line endings on MSYS2.  But the discussion in
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10785131/line-endings-in-python>
seems to imply that on Python automatically converts all \r and \r\n
line endings for text files to \n.  Also, my impression is you have
exercised the above scripts/convert_comment.py logic from 2010 with no
issues in the past on Cygwin (where again, the checked out
plplot_config.h.in should have \r\n line endings.) So I would only
look at this potential line ending issue (by dumping out each raw byte
of the above line) only as a last resort (i.e., only if the line that
is causing this error compiles with no issues).

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project