On 2019-08-14 18:29-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

So replacing our ancient fork of CMakeD with a modern fork of cmake-d
currently looks like the proper way forward.  However, before implementing
that I need to do more comparisons between the two CMake D language
support projects for dmd, and assuming I can get dmd to work correctly
for our needs for cmake-d using modest changes to cmake-d, I also need
to try out ldc (not available for our ancient fork of CMakeD) using
cmake-d.

The current status is I am making good progress with bug fixes for the
cmake-d D language support so that it works for our needs.  So for
example, I have gotten dmd to work well enough for our CMake-based
core build of the D binding and examples on Debian Buster (for a dmd
compiler I built for myself since Debian does not package that
compiler) that I was able to build the D binding and compile (but not
yet link because of at least one remaining issue with cmake-d) all the
(updated) D examples with dmd.

The results of that dmd compilation of the examples confirmed all of
the example fixes (other than x16d.d) that Takeshi Enomoto donated via
our patch tracker, and I was also able to solve the remaining dmd
compilation errors (which occurred only for x16d.d).

My plan for maturing this topic before I push it to master
includes the following general steps:

* Fix the remaining cmake-d issues for the dmd compiler (as far as I
  know there is only one such issue left which is the current bad
  linking of the D examples).  And confirm this cmake-d change does
  not compromise the current good cmake-d results with the gdc
  compiler.

* Fix any cmake-d issues with the ldc compiler without compromising
  the good gdc results and the (now) good dmd results.

* Fix any issues for our traditional (Makefile + pkg-config) build of
  the installed examples for both dmd and ldc without compromising the
  good gdc results we currently have for that particular build system.

* Replace our ancient fork of CMakeD with a modern fork of cmake-d.
  In other words, all the above steps will be done with external (patched)
  cmake-d, and this step will integrate that patched version into
  PLplot source code for the convenience of our users.

The test of whether this topic has truly been matured will continue to
be our comprehensive test script (which tests our three build systems
for all our library and device variants) should produce perfect
results for D for each D compiler (gdc, dmd, and ldc).

More later....

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project