---Reply to mail from Matsumoto, Masakazu about Japanese code converter kcc

> Alexander R. Pruss wrote:
>
>>I've been asking for a long time for a way to plug in a filter (e.g., a sed
>>filter or something).  That would do the job.

    Sounds like you both want something like this:

Right before line 799 in Spider.py insert this:

filter = config.get_string ('filter')
if filter is not None:
try:
    tempfile = tempfile.mktemp()
    f = open(tempfile, "wb")
    f.write(document)
    f.close()

    command = filter + " " + tempfile
    pipe = os.popen(command)
    document = pipe.read()
    pipe.close()

finally:
    try: os.unlink(infile)
    except: pass

(line 799)
# OK, it's fair game, so we parse it
try:
    pluckerdoc = self._parser (new_url,
                               header,
                               document,
                               self._config,
                               attributes.as_dict())

In .pluckerrc Matto would add:

filter = kcc [the opts he needs]

I coludn't understand the README or manual for kcc, but, from the code it
looks like it takes an inputfile (and write to stdout. Should work.

Matto:
    You can test it by removing the first two lines and inserting the
commandline for kcc for the filter variable (command = "kcc [opts] " + tempfile)

---End reply

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be
very selective about who its friends are. And sometimes even best friends
have fights.