Make sure cups daemon is installed/running and browse to http://localhost:631. Fiddle with settings in there, I've had to almost reset it inside cups a few times already, where even a reboot didn't work for my brother mfc. I blame it on sketchy vendor drivers as I have to use a proprietary package.

mb@host:~$   netstat -an | grep 631
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp6 0 0 ::1:631 :::* LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     16575    /opt/avg

mb@host:~$ grep 631 /etc/services
ipp             631/tcp                         # Internet Printing Protocol
ipp             631/udp

-mb